How we helped adapt a house for home working

Refurbishment and creation of an extension with flexibility designed in

The problem

The client had a house which no longer met requirements for home working and accommodating a growing family. The house built in the 1980s was starting to look dated externally and many rooms felt cold in winter. The new space needed to be adaptable to become a self-contained unit for elderly relatives to live in in the future.

How we helped

Our approach focused on three key elements; Firstly, to refresh the appearance and layout of the home; Secondly, to increase the floor area with a flexible annexe extension and Finally, to replace the out-of-date features which would help increase energy
efficiency. To update the overall home’s appearance we replaced the original external vertical tiles with new English sweet chestnut cladding. We also replaced the existing leaded glass windows with attractive Danish, triple-glazed windows to both improve thermal
performance and decrease noise penetration.

To uplift the kerb appeal to the home, we replaced the existing porch’s pitched roof with a contemporary flat overhanging roof and enhanced the entrance with welcoming recessed lighting.

For the new extension, we created a space that could be used as a home office, an entertainment area, or even a spacious en-suite bedroom space. The new rooms featured vaulted ceilings, porch doors into the garden, and a bright, contemporary glass link to the existing home. The annexe walls were constructed using a Structurally Insulated Panelling System (SIPS) and externally matched the rest of the home’s new sweet chestnut cladding and glazing. To enable future adaptability, the toilet was designed with plumbing in place behind the walls and under the floor to enable easy conversion to a wet room bathroom with minimal work.

If you’ve got a home that is no longer meeting your requirements but don’t want to move, why not contact us and see how we can help you to reinvent your property.

You can read more about this project here.


keyboard_arrow_left keyboard_arrow_right