New educational facilities extend listed building in the Greenbelt
Tait Architects have secured planning permission for an extension to a historic country house in Essex
After a lengthy consultation process, Tait Architects have secured planning permission for a major contemporary extension and refurbishment to a Grade 1 listed manor house originally built in 1729.
The Bower House is in the Havering-atte-Bower conservation area and was previously used as a training facility by Ford. It is currently owned by Amana Trust, a Christian Charity.
The 1,270 square metre extension contains a flexible teaching space sub-dividable into four classrooms, a dining area for 200 people and associated commercial kitchens. There is also a roof terrace area with a real lawn, with views out over the existing landscaped gardens and lakes. The proposals also included a listed building consent for the refurbishment of 585 square metres of existing buildings.
The planning process involved two pre-applications; the feed back was ambiguous and unsatisfactory to the Trusts requirements. Tait architects worked closely with a local planning consultant and were able to utilise Brownfield rather than Greenbelt policy to obtain the final permission.
Contact us to find out more about our company and how we can help you to revitalise and extend existing historic buildings.